Thursday, December 23, 2010

Shopping Pandemonium

    Common sense or lack there of reared it’s ugly head today. As we are only a day away from Christmas, most people should have the majority of their holiday shopping done, right? Wrong! I included had to pick up some last minute gifts and apparently the rest of the state of Colorado did to. However, before I even left the house, I remembered the first round of public service announcements and took all of them into consideration. Particularly PSA #1: Before you even leave the house to go shopping, evaluate all the people on your list, consider that there are many others doing the same and allow yourself the proper amount of shopping time. Running into a store on your way home from and working yourself into a tizzy over the long lines is not good for the heart. Therefore, I evaluated what I needed so I could get in and get out.
   
       As I got to the mall, I luckily found parking right away due to the plethora of open spaces. I thought, nice there isn’t that many people here. Boy was I wrong! I totally underestimated the amount of people and it suddenly occurred to me that there are a lot of different parking sections surrounding this colossal structure which I like to call, “retail pandemonium.”


      You know I am all for people spending money and feeding the economy; especially in these hard times but do we really have to do it at a turtles pace? I can’t stand when people walk slower than molasses. It’s like that one car who causes a traffic jam because he is driving in the passing lane 20 mph slower than the actual speed limit. The same concept applies to public venues. Now, I am not saying everyone has to shop like speed racers but when an abundant amount of people are in such a venue, it is quite pertinent to keep a steady flow. Apparently, these people are some kind of special; borderline kings and queens and possibly even presidents and apparently, they won’t walk unless the red carpet is rolled out for them.




Common sense tip #1: Please be considerate of others when shopping and remember that there are hundreds of people trying to shop as well. Therefore, please walk at a considerable pace in which to avoid a people jam.


         When I am making my way down the mall I find it impossible to walk without having to dodge in and out of humans, a.k.a turtles. It’s bad enough to have to swivel in and out of moving obstacles but it’s even more annoying when a group of people notice that they know each other and stop and start talking in the dead center of traffic flow. Now, it’s totally understandable that running into people you know happens, especially at a mall and at around the holidays. It even happened to me today, but once again there are other people to take into consideration.




Common sense tip #2: When running into people you know in public venues, please don’t block traffic flow and move your mini soirée to the side. People who don’t move like turtles will thank you.


        Lastly, the thing that was really annoying today was the large families or groups of eight friends taking up the whole mall isle so others couldn’t get around. I completely understand that people want to shop with their families and or friends but once again there are other patrons to consider. I myself or others shouldn’t have to be blocked from getting to where I need to get to, just so Jim Bob’s family of five can walk side by side; causing yet another people jam. Which brings me to my last common sense tip of the day.




Common sense tip #3: If it’s necessary that the entire family or a group of friends must go shopping together, please pair up with a sibling or a buddy and stay to the far right so that other people can pass you if needed.


Needless to say, I did not get in and out of the mall today. Turtles thinking they are presidents, mini soirees and moving walls cost me and others precious time that we will never get back. It's time for the elimination of ignorance.

Until next time,
Zozo and Leggy J
csaintsc@gmail.com

"A perpetual holiday is a good working definition of hell."
George Bernard Shaw

No comments:

Post a Comment