Friday, November 12, 2010

Common Sense Note to Self

Number one pet peeve, okay not number one but really high on the list...coming to a complete and total stop on the highway. I'm talking 0mph, I could put the car in park, I'm not going anywhere.

This has happened on several of my drives northbound I-25, Lincoln to Orchard. I understand that at 7:30 am we are all trying to get where we are going and no one wants to be late. But what I don't understand is the incessant rudeness of some people. For example, riding my bumper is a sign that you would like to be going faster than said slow pace, because like a fool, you left late. Not my fault, however, in traffic I cannot go faster. I cannot get out of the way. There is nothing you can do to make anyone go faster, so stop with the rectal exam already! Another example, it's a proven fact that weaving in and out of traffic does not get you where you are going any faster, so pick a freaking lane. I'm fairly certain that if I notice you right behind me, get over one lane, and then proceed to try to get back over in front of me, I'm not letting you in. It's one car. You will live. You will not get there any faster than if you were behind me. And now, the queen gem of my morning drive....merging. Now I'm one to always let people over. As aforementioned, we are all trying to get where we are going. No one is on the road at 7:30 am rush hour just to "create more traffic." That is not the time of day one chooses for a joy ride. So like a good and patient person, I allow others to merge on and off the highway. I expect the same courtesy. Which brings me to my story...

Like so many of us, this fine Thursday morning I was running late. I had just made my morning tea, only to realize that both of my tumblers were dirty and in the dishwasher. Grabbing the first mug from the cabinet, I filled up and was out the door. Knowing I was already going to be a few minutes late, I still went slow and allowed people to merge, because like I said, I'm not getting there any faster by being a jerk on the road. I would venture to say that I was most likely being a bit overcautious this drive, as not wanting to spill my tea was high priority. About half way through my tea I am now only one exit away from work. When out of nowhere, the left lane, comes some SUV (who is more important than me, going somewhere more important than me) who throws on their blinker and moves on over into my lane. Before I know what's happening I am forced to SLAM on my brakes...tea e-v-e-r-y-w-h-e-r-e. All over my pants, shirt, steering wheel, even makes it to the windshield. I suppose it's alright though because no one was hurt, no accident. (yes, that was sarcasm) And let's not forget, the SUV did use their blinker, so everything is hunky dory. No harm, no foul, except that I have tea all over my pants, shirt, steering wheel and the windshield.

*Common sense note to self, no matter how late you are running, always, ALWAYS take the time to wash the tumbler. So when idiot SUV decides they just have to cut you off, tea stay safely contained and clothes and car stay dry.

Lesson learned. For those of you wondering, I no longer take the highway. Quebec all the way. So when I stop, it's at a light and not because people don't know how to drive in rush hour. My blood pressure thanks me for this.

Until next time,
Zozo and Leggy J
csaintsc@gmail.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment