Monday, November 1, 2010

Ladder.......What's that?

My temporary (hopefully) time working in retail has really opened my eyes. I can truly distinguish between the capable and the dense. I'm not talking about just the customers that come into the store that don't know how to do basic math, but some of my co-workers really have illustrated the stupidity that has influenced Zozo and I to start this blog.

Let's get to it.

While I realize that you don't need a college degree to work in retail, I would hope that people have some type of brain capacity to do simple tasks; like being able to find an item in the back room that isn't currently out on the floor. Which brings me to my story. I have to give this co-worker credit, she was able to locate an item in the back room. However, all the credit I gave her went out the window after what she had asked me. After finishing my main project in the back room early, I decided I would re-organize the mess that my wonderful co-workers generously left me. On a side note I’d like to give you some info on the back room. There are racks called "lundias." Lundias are 15 foot mobile devices that contain upper and lower levels of shelves and racks that hold back stock of clothing and accessories. At the end of these lundias are four, yes I said FOUR ladders! Back to the story, as I was refolding the messed up piles of shirts, my co-worker comes to the back room to look for a size. She locates it on the upper rack. Now my next thought would be to go get a ladder, get the size down and take it out to the customer. Does she do this? Nooo, she comes up to me and asks, "How do I get up to the top shelves to get that jacket down?" Pause. I just stared at her. I was so dumbfounded by her question that the image of myself with my jaw dropped to the floor looking at her expressionless popped into my mind. As I snapped back to reality, in a monotone voice I said to her, "get a ladder."

Imagine someone standing next to a pencil sharpener and asking how to sharpen their pencil. Standing next to a ladder, you ask how to get to a high point. I think the only thing that would have topped off this little gem would be if she asked how to use a ladder. I’m not sure what else to do other than shake my head. Good ol’ retail. Can’t live without it, can’t shoot it.


"Stupid is forever, ignorance can be fixed." - Don Wood

Until next time,
Zozo and Leggy J



Quote: http://www.best-quotes-poems.com/common-sense-quotes.html

No comments:

Post a Comment